Thursday, November 24, 2011

Things to be Thankful For

  • An old car with the good manners to break down within coasting distance of my own driveway, on the night before a day off.
  • A mother out of state for the winter who is willing to lend me hers.
  • A sister coming to Thanksgiving dinner to drive me from the broken down car to the running car.

Seriously, as far as inconveniences go, this one was coordinated like a ballet.

Then there’s all the other usual stuff we take for granted: a roof over our heads (that only leaks when it rains really hard), a job where I get to work with lots of kind and genuine people, food for  the table, a wife who is not only willing but happy to cook it, family to share it with, good health, and of course, also, eggnog.

And whiskey.

I work with a woman who’s mother used to punish her, when she complained too much, by sending her into the corner to count her blessings. I do tend to grumble a lot. (That’s why you’re all here, isn’t it?) But this seems like as good a day as any to take her mother’s advice and reflect on the stuff that’s going right.

So, I’ll be over here in the corner.

With my eggnog.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! You do have much to be thankful for, as do I, now that I think on it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. Happy [belated] Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete